Thursday, 12 May 2016

Meeting The Publisher [PART 3 THE FINAL PART]

Meeting The Publisher [PART 3 THE FINAL PART]

Part 3

{For part 1 and part 2 read my previous notes}

So I was in Delhi’s most adventures place for me so far with a weird creature who kept a pack of cigarette in his one pocket and almonds in another, who wore T-shirt, jacket and Jeans to a job which is quite corporate in nature, who can offer a 19yr old cigarette and then after 2 drags can call you an asshole. I wondered if he might be having a tattoo hidden somewhere in that green T-shirt of his or a piercing at someplace which I don’t want to imagine. More or less he looked like a 35yr old college going kid who will roam on streets with his bike, light up the cigarette in style and make rings out of the smoke he exhaled.
‘What the fuck is he doing in this publishing house as publisher?’ I thought.
He was cracking his fingers loudly making annoying noise, and was bending his neck to get it fixed; simultaneously he was smiling and looking at me. That feeling was great. It was like seeing your report card after waking up hundreds of nights before the exams. I wished if I could just photograph him and keep that picture on my study table with caption

“After effect of my novel”

“Wow, that was one heck of a novel kiddo. Looking at you I am still sceptical that you wrote that.”

Ya right, fuck you Mr. Pain In the ass Publisher. I worked for a year to come with that story and that way of writing and this is what my 1st reader which is unfortunately you gave me as a comment.

“Oh C’mon kid, you know I am teasing. So is Aditi your GF now or what?”

“Sir, can we please stick to the novel rather than my personal life.” I was pissed and frustrated, to say the least. This man’s unprofessionalism was going beyond my tolerance.

“Okay then. Have a seat.” And he signalled to the seat in front of his desk.
That entire seat changing request was purely symbolic that some real business deal sort of talk is on the cards. As I got up from that super cosy sofa, I wasn’t able to feel my legs. As blood gushed into my legs I felt as if they were getting revived back to life. It took me 100yrs for that short walk of 5steps; Abhi was busy arranging some papers. As I sat down I noticed he had scribbled on somewhat 10-15 sheets of A4 size paper. God, he was noting down points to tell me at the end of the meeting. He finished arranging them and then faced me arms crossed and with his patent smile.

“So are we good to go?” he asked and I nodded nervously.

“You will not like everything I’ll tell you, but you know what, you must listen to it very carefully.” He said.

‘Oh God! Oh God! This is not going good. This is a disaster’ pessimist voice inside me was getting louder and louder. I almost fainted. I drank whole glass of water kept on his table and made myself strong.

For next half an hour he gave me detailed feedback about my novel. Criticized it very strongly on some points. Praised some parts saying even best in the business can’t pull out something like that. One comment of his was very powerful and I will not forget it all my life.

“You are just 19, your dish has all the ingredients to make it super delicious. Cook it properly kiddo.”

In the end I was very confused. Is he happy? Or he is saying Fuck off in a polite way. He grabbed that expression from my face and understood instantly what I was thinking. So he decided to summarize it for me.

“Listen kid. There are many publishing houses in India that will grab this novel with both hands. Pay you well and make you quite successful in a jiffy. But this novel right here on my computer screen can rewrite history” He took a break to drink water.

“It can?” I asked very politely.

“Yes. I am not looking at 10thousand copies sold or crap like that, I am talking about a million copies and national bestseller and so on. Trust me, its well within your reach. With such a huge target audience and such a youth-oriented story we are talking big kid. Real Big. But the point is your novel is good but it can be made better. Remember the points I told you?” He said.

“Yes, I do” I replied.

“So kid, take some pain and edit it just the way I told you. And for god sakes change the name. Your writing style and that name of your novel will earn you a reputation of an imitator. If you understand what I mean.” He said and he pointed to the photograph of a very renowned novelist of India.

“Looking at your expressions I thought I have nailed it. Are you delusional or an actor or what? I thought tonight I will walk out of this office with a big cheque in my hand. Every time you laughed or screamed my thoughts became firmer. And now you are asking me to rewrite my entire novel the way you suggested me? You gotta be kidding me. I am in JIIT, doing engineering. I hardly get time to get a haircut. (I pointed to my hair) I have a tight schedule to follow. And you want me to rewrite 389 pages of the novel in size 11 font. Are you out of your fucking mind?

Get your head out of your ass Abhi. Thank you so much for your time. Now if you don’t mind I got to go.” I was furious. I wanted to slap him for wasting my entire day.

“Remember what I said. Cook it properly, whole world will witness this magic unfurl.” He said as I slammed his cabin door and stormed out.
It was very cold outside. I hardly could feel my fingers. It was almost 3 am and an auto was hard to find. I waited for 10mins or so but couldn’t find myself an auto.

I decided to walk.

A black Mahindra Logan just stopped by me and window glass lowered to reveal smiling Abhi.

“Need a ride back kid?” He asked. I declined by waving my head.

“C’mon kid, I insist.” He said. I had no choice so I decided to take the offer.
“Where to?”
“Noida Sec-62.”
“Hostel?”
I nodded. I wanted to talk as minimum as possible. I hated that guy now.
“You are angry at me aren’t you? Let me make it up. Come stay at my place for tonight.”

‘No thanks’ was my instant reply in my head but the problem is if I enter college at 4 in the morning, it can cause me some disciplinary pain. Given the fact that I have already messed up with my grades, and once a disciplinary action was also taken against me summoning my parents, bearing this moron was a better choice any day. I nodded.

We drove in complete silence for the rest of our journey. We reached his home in about 20 mins thanks to no night traffic in Delhi. His house was beautiful and artistic work of architecture to say the least, situated in a very familiar place to me Safdarjung Enclave. I stayed there for a year when I was doing my drop year coaching. So I was instantly at ease.

His house was very luxurious. Like the one, they show on TV soaps. The whole house was full of photographs. I closed in a photograph for a better view. It was a beautiful lady holding a guy by his arm. I came closer and to my horror, it was Abhi with his wife. God, the guy is married. Also, there was a school bag on the sofa of his living room. He has a kid too. He is not that young as he seems. I instantly felt sorry for my tone and words that I used for him. But he seemed indifferent. He was humming to himself and was busy taking his shoes off.

“Kid, washroom is left to the stairs. You might want to get fresh.” He spoke with hospitality dripping from his voice.

I came out of the washroom and saw him busy arranging meal on the dining table. My host is a great man, and my guilt increased exponentially.

“So what does your wife do Abhi?” I spoke to break the silence as I dipped my Roti in hot matter paneer.

“Aaah my wife.” He smiled and took a sip from his glass of water.

“Nothing much, she smiles and watches me from heaven as I eat this late night dinner with a guy who is just like me 15years ago.” He said and tore another bite from his chapatti.

There are times in your life when you wish you can rewind your life a few seconds and change what you just did. This one was the perfect example of that. Why the hell my life doesn’t come with a remote which has rewind and fast forward button.

“Oh, I am sorry.” And then I wished I could use the fast forward button to get to the end of this dinner. I wanted more kheer, it was delicious. But I hesitated to ask because of the awkward moment I just had. There was a constant battle between my tongue and my brain. My tongue won in the end and I decided to stretch for it.

“Don’t be sorry kid, I told you na she is smiling. I am happy about it. Wait, let me get you that bowl. Kheer is delicious today. Isn’t it?”
I nodded.

After we had our meal, he got me a nice silky quilt and a soft pillow. I was his fan by then. He was a great guy. My opinion about him oscillated every now and then. I slept in the living room on a cosy sofa. My mind processing whatever happened today. It was one hell of a night. I was tired but still was unable to sleep. I kept staring at all the photographs that surrounded me in that room and imagined their love story. Was it a love marriage? Sure it was. I don’t remember when I fell asleep.

Then dogs started barking. I woke up and scratched my head. I went to the washroom and I heard a kid say-

“Yes Dad, I’ll be nice to him.”
I went back to my sofa to find my spectacles and my mobile, I checked time. It was 7am. I heard Abhi scream.

“Kid, breakfast is ready. Come fast.”
“Dad I am already there. Waiting for you.”
“No I am not talking to you Ayush, I am talking to the other kid in the house.”
Other kid? Ok, he was calling me for breakfast. I replied I am coming.
There at the dining table, I saw a kid 10yrs of age, neatly dressed in school uniform with a bag on his back and a water bottle hanging by his neck. He was playing with the fork and spoon flying them as his aeroplane. He saw me and placed them back on the table instantly.

“Hello Bhaiya, my name is Ayush Shrivastav and I am in 4th standard.”
I repeated all that which his dad taught him to do whenever he meets anyone. The kid was very cute. I shook his hand and replied in the same tone as his.
“Here is your sandwich and omelette. And here is yours.” Abhi placed two omelettes and two sandwiches one each our plates. He was wearing an apron. He removed his apron and sat down with us to eat. Kid was very sweet. He ate it all and then signalled his dad to get his ear near his mouth.

“No you won’t be late son, don’t worry.” He said consoling the kid. He then faced me.

“Will you please excuse us for a minute; we have a school bus to catch.” After saying this he got up and without saying a word more moved out with Ayush.
He returned after 10mins. I wanted to get back to my college; bus takes almost 1hr from Safdarjung. It was best that I leave now.

“Abhi it was so nice of you to let me stay at your place. I am really grateful for your hospitality but I think it's best I leave now. Now you have nailed my career as a writer I have a class to attend at 9. It’s called Data Base Management System. And I don’t know shit about that.” I said and almost regretted the word nailed that I just used.

“Wait. I’ll drop you.” He replied.

We drove without exchanging a word. It was odd. A day before I didn’t even knew anything about this guy but now it’s like I know him since ages.
“I didn’t nail your career Sud, you are an amazing writer and I will stand by it all my life. You need to polish this novel. That’s it. Trust me, anyone who will read your writing would want more and more from you. It’s addictive.” He said and I could see red bricked building of Jiit.

“Think about it Kid, just cook your dish. The World is ready with empty plates. Cook it.”

Car stopped. I stepped out of the car. Said nothing just smiled.
I entered that gigantic metallic gate of Jiit with an even more gigantic question in my mind.


Should I cook it? What do you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment